Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

I still love the 90's

Once every year there is a party in Belgium that takes my breath away and makes me feel like I'm a little child again running around the kitchentable screaming "I like to move it, move it!". If you're wondering what I am talking about... I'm talking about this:

 

I love the 90's is a party concept with (as you can guess) 90's music. Much of the music that blows through the speakers can be described as dance, retro house and occasionaly a bit of alternative music and rock. It is held every year around the same time, namely the second week of april. 
I love the 90's was a big hit in Belgium and over the years many other organisations have held similar parties hoping to share its success. But, as perhaps many others will agree, I love the 90's still feels authentic and is the best party of them all ;)

Keep the spirit alive!

With the title Keep the spirit alive! (a sentence of the song "The Spirit" from Fiocco, a belgian dance formation from the 90's) the line-up promised to especially make your heart pound this year. As a result the line-up was pretty impressive and even 2 Brothers on the 4th floor (Never Alone, Black & White) made a reappearance, being the most asked group since the first edition. DJ Ward, the "house-DJ" of I love the 90's, started with a lovely warm-up at 8:30PM and left the crowd jumping for joy until it was time for Astroline (Feel the Fire) to get the party started.

                                                         Can you feel the fire?

After Astroline Absolom (Baby Boomers, Secret) entered the stage bringing a few of their dance classics and a brand new themesong for I love the 90's called "Remembering the 90's". With DJ Ward at the turntables to keep the crowd entertained with the best hits of the 90's between the acts you were sure to not get bored even the slightest moment.

We shouted along with the Outhere Brothers (Boom Boom Boom, Don't Stop Wiggle Wiggle), raised a brow at the controversial E-Rotic (Max Don't Have Sex With Your Ex), bobbed our head to Haddaway's What is Love and dreamed away with 2 Brothers on the 4th Floor (Never Alone, Dreams, Come Take my Hand).

At 2:00AM it was finally time for Vanilla Ice (we even got free vanilla icecream at the entrance to celebrate!)
He rapped the whole place into oblivion with a few of his new songs and made the crowd go wild as the first notes of "Ice Ice Baby" blew through the speakers. To close his performance he brought a song of his newest album WTF (Wisdom Tenacity Focus) called Turn It Up. This little partygoer was left impressed.

                                                                Turn it up!

Regi and Jan Vervloet from Fiocco closed the party with impressive DJ-sets and were without a doubt the crowd pleasers of the evening. (Insomnia, Thunderstruck, Lift U Up and many, many more to name a few)

At 4:30AM it was time for us to go home.  We had an incredible evening and I'm already looking forward to next year when I love the 90's will celebrate its 5th year of existence. It seems that the 90's still have a special place in the hearts of many, and that makes me happy because I know... I'm Never Alone.

2 comments:

  1. WOOT!, we had loads of fun! Sure was kinda fun to hear all those old tunes again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definately! Though I'm a bit sad that it will take a year for the next party to come around... :(

    ReplyDelete