Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Anime opening/ending top 100 (part II)

The end of the month is near once more, so it's time for another batch of anime openings and endings! If there is a link that doesn't work, don't hesitate to let me know and I'll try to find a replacement as soon as possible.

So on to the list... I never thought it would be this hard to actually number my favorite openings and endings, there are some that could've possibly scored higher or some that could've scored lower, but I think most of them are justified. It's a mix of the sentiments I have for the anime in question, the catchyness of the song (Major point! Sometimes songs can be irresistable) and  how the opening or ending matches the anime's general feel plus the originality of the video.


 #90  Princess Tutu OP : Morning Grace

     

Princess Tutu is probably one of my most favorite anime. The story is a mixture of a sweet yet cruel fairytale, magical girls and ballet. It might sound a bit strange, but it somehow works and is most definitely unique in its kind. The opening of Princess Tutu might sound familiar to some as it is inspired by Waltz of the Flowers from the Nutcracker.

 #89  Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noburu Sora OP : Aoi Koufuku
 
     

Even though Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noburu Sora (better known as Hantsuki or looking up at the half moon) is relatively short (6 episodes to be exact) it surely left a deep impression. Hantsuki is about 2 hospitalized children who spend time with each other and slowly but surely fall in love.

 #88  Ouran High School Host Club OP : Sakura Kiss
 
     

Ouran High School Host Club was highly enjoyable for me with its lovable characters and quirky humor. I can't deny however that this show is probably more of a girl's thing since the characters focus on entertaining their female clients (with lots of squeeling, blushing and giggling as a result) and with that the female watcher as well. Nevertheless I think "Ouran" has more to offer than only fanservice and can be entertaining for everyone.

 #87  DNAngel OP : True Light
 
     

The story of DNAngel left me a bit indifferent, probably because most of the characters didn't pull me in as much as other characters of other anime seem to do. The opening is quite cool though and fits well with general feel of the anime.

 #86  Loveless OP : Tsuki no Curse
 
    

Ok, so maybe I started to watch Loveless only for the character designs (read cat ears, squee! I'm so guilty hehe) but I was surprised by the depth that most of the characters seemed to have. The manga is still ongoing so the ending might be a little unsatisfying to some, but all in all Loveless is an interesting anime worth watching. Once again this is one of the few clips which is mirrored to counter copyright issues.

 #85  Kaikan Phrase OP2 : Survival

    

Kaikan Phrase is one of the few anime with a heavy focus on music, in this case J-Rock. The main character doesn't interest me that much but Kaikan Phrase has enough likable characters to keep it interesting. (By the way, the drummer's name is Santa, how awesome is that?) Sadly I haven't finished the anime entirely yet so I haven't been able to watch all of the openings. You'll be surprised but Kaikan Phrase is quite long, so the opening changes about every 10 episodes. Survival is my favorite opening of the ones I've already seen. Sadly I couldn't find a creditless clip or one with english subtitles, but it's better than nothing right? 

 #84  Vandread OP : Trust

    

Back when I only knew about anime for a few years I read a review about Vandread in Aniway (a dutch anime and manga magazine). The premise of women and men being born on a different planet intrigued me, together with the comedy and fanservice. Soon I came to know that the story is actually more complex than it initially lets you on, something I really appreciated.

 #83  Love Hina OP : Sakura Saku

    

I'm one of those people who just can not like Love Hina. The male lead which every female character seems to have the hots for is so boring and the fact that the anime tries to combine so many different things and genres at once simply annoys me. Luckily I like the opening, but that's about the most positive thing I have to say about it...

 #82  Full Moon o Sagashite OP : I love You

    

"Full Moon" is a bit of a chick flick, but one that is well executed. The opening sounds as perky and innocent as the main character, a girl who has throat cancer and makes a pact with two "angels of death" (the pediatric kind, so they're totally adorable ;)) to be able to sing, hoping to reach the boy she loves that way before she dies.

 #81  Mushishi OP : The Sore Feet Song

    

Mushishi is one of those anime that gives an interesting twist to the supernatural genre. Just like the series itself the opening is very relaxing and draws its focus on nature.

Until the end of May for the next 10! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment