Pages

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Anime opening/ending top 100 (part III)

Wow, it has been a little while since I last posted something. I suppose preparing for my finals and finishing tasks for school has taken more time than I'd like to admit... For now I'll probably post a bit less frequently until my finals are over.

What doesn't change is that it is that time of the month again, today number 80 until number 71 of the anime opening/ending top 100 make their appearance on this blog. It's a bit of a shame that since the making of this list I've watched and completed other anime with likeable openings and endings, so if I were to make the list again some things would surely rank lower or higher. ^^;;

But, as rules are rules I won't change the list until it's fully published! To make up for it I'll probably make a spin-off post when the list is finally completely online.
Anyways, we're almost nearing the point where it became hard to choose and find something negative to put it lower on the list, exciting!


 #80  El Cazador de la Bruja OP : Hikari no Yukue

       

I gave up watching El Cazador de la Bruja after the 3rd episode. Except for the opening which I really like (I adore the music and voice of Savage Genius) El Cazador seemed really boring. I was a bit dissapointed because it is made by Bee Train, an animation studio notorious for the creation of Noir, one of the first anime who used the concept of girls with guns as a recurring theme. El Cazador tries to step into the footsteps of its bigger sister, but for now fails to deliver. Perhaps I'll continue it one day, but right now I don't feel an urge to watch it further just yet.

 #79  Jigoku Shoujo OP : Sakasama no Chou

       

What attracted me so much when I first saw a picture of Jigoku Shoujo was the artwork and the designs. The slightly distinct style makes it stand out and lends itself to the story, giving the setting an air as if it belongs to another world. Enma Ai, the hell girl, is specially intriguing with her piercing red eyes.

 #78  Ikki Tousen OP : Drive into The Night

       

Saying that you purely watch Ikki Tousen for the story is the same as saying you're watching Twilight for the amazing dialogue. (If you do, I rest my case!) But, by all means, it is pretty unlikely. Ikki Tousen is all about clothing exploding at the most uncomfortable times (and characters not caring about that), tough fighting and cool characters. Nevertheless, the opening is groovy!

 #77  Touka Gettan OP : Faded Dreams

       

This is another anime with character designs from Carnelian. Apart from the series being pure eyecandy (at least for me, haha) Touka Gettan might lack a convincing plot. I guess I mostly watched it for the art... That doesn't bother me though! :)

 #76  Steel Angel Kurumi OP : Kiss Kara Hajimaru Miracle

       

Gah, this song is just so catchy I can't get it out of my head! When I watch this opening I always get a craving for cute looking things... Probably because it *is* rather girly and sweet. Oh... and I also have a weakness for pink hair. Coincidence? I think not. Steel Angel Kurumi is nice if you're in for something that is not too heavy on your mind. The character designs are pleasing and the story is enjoyable, but it's pretty obvious this anime is more focused on the male audience. Does that make it any less enjoyable? Of course not.

 #75  Azumanga Daioh OP : Soramimi Cake

       

This opening is even catchier than the previous one. Azumanga Daioh is not an anime you should exactly watch for the plot. But, if you like a bit of absurd humor in a slice-of-life setting, it can surely be an enjoyable watch.

 #74  Monster Rancher OP : Monsters Rule

       

I think this must be the sole english opening in this list. Why? I watched Monster Rancher on BBC when I was about 10, so I grew up with the english dub. I always got up at 8 AM, never skipping a single episode. (I even managed to convince my little nephew on a vacation at sea to let me watch it instead of Plop, a belgian children's show, a feat I'm still very much proud of even 'til this day!) I never skipped the opening because I found it so cool with the rapping and the techno beats. (It became a standard formula for almost every translated "kiddie" anime show after that it seems though xD) 10 years later I've picked Monster Rancher up again and finished it completely. I suppose it can be described as a mixture of Pokémon and Digimon, but note that Monster Rancher was made around the same time. For me, Monster Rancher is a reminder of my younger days when I had just discovered the joy of anime.

 #73  Card Captor Sakura OP3 : Platinum

       

I seriously adore CLAMP and their series and Card Captor Sakura is no exception. The 3th opening is my favorite because I really like the song and the imagery. It sort of reflects how the feelings of the main character have matured and have become more genuine, as it fits with the story. (the first opening was more playful)

 #72  Noir ED : Kirei na Kanjou

       

I like how the sultry and husky voice gives the ending a more adult air, which reminds me of one of the main characters, Mireille. If she had a themesong I'm sure this would be it. It is very feminine yet a little rough in the middle, exactly how I imagine her character. However the only character that's visible in this ending is her partner... Ah well, I'll just pretend it's her!

 #71  Peace Maker Kurogane OP : You gonna feel

       

I was a bit reluctant when I first heard of Peace Maker Kurogane, but I was quickly hooked after watching the first episode. The setting of the story is also a big plus, taking place in old Japan in the year 1864. The characters are all quite lovable and the focus lies on the Shinsengumi, a special police force in the late shogunate period of Japan, which the main character joins to take revenge on the people who killed his parents.

1 comment: