Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

Anime opening/ending top 100 (part I)

Ladies and gentlemen, hereby I proudly announce my very first top 100 of something I really like and I enjoy: anime. More specifically, my favorite openings and endings.

Sometimes an anime series can have an uninteresting story or blant art, but somehow the music of the opening/ending theme keeps haunting your mind. Of course it can be the other way around too, making you want to skip it as soon as it appears on your screen... And then there's the anime that is just amazing all around with fitting openings that make the series even more complete. I want to pay a homage to all of those, as they brought me so much joy and share them with you.


I will post a list with 10 openings/endings every month, but keep in mind that I only post those of anime I've seen, or which are on hold. So if I start a new series which has a fabulous opening it won't be in this list yet...

Ready? Let's go!

 #100  Mai-Hime OP : Shining Days

     

I love Mai-Hime and most of its characters, but I think this opening lacks some flavor. Sure it shows a bit of what the series is about, but to me the song and the animation is a bit too generic.

 #99  X-TV ED : Secret Sorrow

     

Even though the video is quite static, the singing is very clear and even a little sweet. It's been quite a while since I've seen X/1999, but it's still one of the better anime I've seen. This song digs a bit deeper into the series itself and lets you discover more about the relationships and feelings of the main characters.

 #98  Fruits Basket OP : For  Fruits Basket

     

Fruits Basket is one of my all time favorites. The series just warms your heart and has a lot of characters to sympathize with. The video is sweet, soft and innocent, just like the anime itself.

 #97  Death Note OP2 : What's Up People?

     

I really like Death Note, but I have to say the music isn't entirely my thing. It does set the mood of Death Note quite well and the animation in the opening sequence is superb and stylish.

 #96  Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann OP : Sorairo Days

     

I enjoyed Gurren Lagann and I think the opening rounds up almost everything that the anime has to offer quite well.

 #95  Haibane Renmei OP : Free Bird

     

A fully instrumental opening! It's not really mindblowing but it perfectly fits with the general feel Haibane Renmei tries to create.

 #94  K-ON! OP1 : Cagayake Girls!

     

This opening perfectly shows the character of K-ON: energetic and cute. K-ON! is a slice-of-life anime about 4 girls joining the school's light music club and their daily life.

 #93  The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya OP : Bouken Deshou?

     

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is one of the best anime I've seen up till now. The art is smooth, the characters are very distinct from each other and the story is amazingly well executed. It's only after you've watched a few episodes that the opening makes a lot of sense though. :p

 #92  Karin OP1 : Scarlet

     

I haven't watched Karin entirely yet, but I find the song quite catchy. ^^ Karin is about a female vampire who is in love with a scary looking guy. Karin is not your everyday vampire though. Instead of having an urge to drink blood, Karin has too much blood in her body and needs to lose this extra amount of blood ever so often through heavy nosebleeds!

 #91  Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito OP : Hitomi no Naka no Meikyuu

     

I really love Carnelians' character designs, so it's not surprising I'm in love with the characters of Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito. (geez, that's quite long to type!) The opening is not really special, but it gives a sneak-peek of various settings in the anime's word and its characters.


That's it for the first 10, I hope you've enjoyed it and perhaps (if you haven't seen them all yet!) it may give you some inspiration to start watching them ;) Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. So many anime-series left to watch...
    Domo arigato Nele-chan. You sure put in a lot of effort! Cant wait for the next ones!

    ReplyDelete