Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Pokémon White: Descending in the region of Unova

Aaaah, Pokémon, you never fail to keep me entertained. It’s been 11 years since I’ve met you, but I still adore you so much. You’ve given me a lot to love too, 649 monsters and 15 games (from the many, many more) to be exact.

It’s almost unimaginable that Pokémon is still around after all those years. Together with the graphics a lot of the gameplay and storyline has evolved as well. The basic idea is still the same, but it seems like Pokémon is slowly growing up.

Onto the 5th generation
Pokémon Black and Pokémon White boxart.
I was a bit reluctant at first when I saw all those new Pokémon getting released one after another. They looked… so different from what I was used to. But now, after playing the game, I can say I came to love them just as much as the previous ones. I felt a bit sad though that the Legendary Pokémon mascots for Pokémon Black and White seemed to have switched around. I really wanted White because the version exclusives and premise suited me better, but then I had no chance of getting the oh so pretty White Legendary. After a lot of contemplating I still picked White. (I’ll just have to find someone crazy enough to trade legendaries, meh!)

Luckily choosing a starter Pokémon was a lot easier.
Then again… I always picked the water starter. This time the grass starter tickled my fancy, that smug face was just so hard to resist!
Who's a cute lil' smugleaf? Yes you are!
After a few resets I got myself a female Snivy. Unlike the other games I growed a habit to catch every new pokémon I encounter, providing they have the right gender. I always give every Pokémon a nickname, so the gender sort of has to match, you know?
Most of the time I have a clear view on which pokémon I want for my party, but Pokémon White just has too many awesome looking Pokémon! I already have my favorites, but they're just too much in number to narrow down to six.

I was lucky enough to catch a Victini.Victini is a legendary Pokémon which is not directly obtainable in game and is only obtainable through events or Wi-Fi. Since Nintendo still hasn't fixed the problem with WPA connections, Wi-Fi events like these are only downloadable with a WEP-connection. And let that be something I don't have. :( 
Luckily there was an event in Belgium on the second day of Pokémon Black and White's release in Europe and I managed to download a "Wondercard" which gives you access to Liberty Island, where Victini can be found.

As of this moment, I have 4 badges and the following party:
 
                                    Servine      Herdier     Munna    Victini      Zebstrika   Panpour
                                    Kirara        Charlie      Minna      Vinny        Kaina       Mizuki
 
My party might change after I've progressed some more in the game. The only reason I still have my Panpour is because I can't find a suitable replacement. (there's a lack of cool water pokémon in Pokémon White anyways.)

I'm also taking my time to explore the game this time, I literally run through every area I can find to look if there's something I might've missed. Something I also really enjoy is the Pokémon Musical. It must be because you can collect so many accessoiries for your Pokémon... In any case, I'm really enjoying it to the fullest.

________________________________________________________________________________________

That's it for this time, all this talking has made me eager to play some more! You can expect another post as soon as I've progressed a decent amount further.

Back to work!

2 comments: